Friday, August 6, 2010

July 27

 
 
 
 
I don't know why, but today was the day of the Comb Jellies - they were literally EVERYWHERE! That's the guy in the center of the first picture. If you've never seen them before, they're really cool! Their propulsion system is hundreds of thousands of cilia inside the grooves that run down their bodies. As those cilia move, they catch the light and make an amazing rainbow effect. So, it looks like these guys have rainbow neon lights racing around their perimeter. Nature is pretty amazing!

I'm going to title the second picture "between a rock and a really sharp, pointy place"

The third picture is of a juvenile damselfish and my favorite anemone. I really hope that one of these days I can actually get a good picture of these fish - it's unreal how bright blue their spots are!

And then, the last picture is fun because it shows so many different kinds of coral all in one place.

Did I ever mention that I love it here?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: